Progressive Tree Service strives to preserve and prolong tree life and avoid tree removal, if possible. However, sometimes a different approach is required. We base our decisions on our extended experience and a wide variety of factors, such as the health of the tree, its age and if poses any danger to the property and its inhabitants.
We employ certified arborists and trained tree care professionals. Progressive Tree Service can remove your unwanted tree in a safe and efficient manner with minimal property disturbance and complete debris cleanup. Wondering what we can do better when it comes to tree removal? Here are some examples:
- as a certified arborist, we make the best recommendation for you and your trees, even when that means a smaller payout for us
- we protect your property (such as lawn) from damage that might be caused by using heavy equipment on or around it
- we keep your property clean and, in many cases, cleaner than we found it. This includes your lawn, flower garden, gutters, roof, etc
- we have specialized equipment and we know what we are doing
- we package all this in one of the most affordable Chicago tree removal service in the Northside and its surrounding suburbs
Is Cutting The Tree Necessary?
Tree removal is difficult and potentially hazardous work.
Any mistake can cause injuries to the people performing the tree cutting works, as well as to nearby structures and property. Some examples are springing branches which can hit with tremendous force, the whole tree falling in an unplanned direction, dealing with power cables, clogging the gutters, damaging roofs, etc. A trusted tree cutting and removal service can help avoid these issues and might keep your overall costs low.
Besides providing clean air and aesthetic value, a mature tree can add significant value to your property, so it is important to decide if there are any other options before you settle on tree removal.
Signs That Tree Removal is Needed:
When a tree develops problems, it is often difficult to decide if or how to remove it.
Diseased trees can be treated and maintained for a lot of years by trimming dead or diseased limbs and caring for them regularly by watering and fertilizing them.
Removing a tree can cost you more than the initial tree removal cost:
- trees keep your property beautiful and welcoming. They provide shade, potentially keep air conditioning costs lower.
- as we mentioned before, trees increase your property's value by roughly 3-15%, based on the number of trees, their location, age, etc. Many times, that means thousands in additional value
- trees might prevent against soil erosion and flooding issues
You can probably tell that we give trees the respect they deserve. To protect the plants and make the best recommendation to you, there is a list of criteria that we consider before recommending tree removal.
Percentage Of Tree Damage
Remove a tree which has more than half of its structure and limbs damaged. The life of the plant can be extended in some cases, but there is a point where the cost AND risk of maintaining a diseased tree surpasses the benefits. The Chicago area weather with its extreme temperatures and high winds also puts a higher stress on such trees, so they should be constantly monitored if not removed.
Visible Or Hidden Damage To The Tree Trunk
There are some visible signs that can point to a tree having internal decay issues such as cracks and other wounds. But, in some cases, the damage might not be visible to the untrained eye.
A lot of damage to the trunk might make tree removal a necessity. In other cases, if the damaged area is small (a quarter of the circumference as a rule of thumb), the tree might be able to recover without any long-lasting damage.
Remove A Tree With A Lot Of Dead Branches
We strictly recommend against tree topping practices.
If a large tree has a broken top or large branches hanging over they can become an imminent risk. Same rule of thumb applies here as well - if less than a quarter of the limbs are damaged, the tree has higher chances to recover. Special attention has to be given to sharp limb angles, as these branches can put extra strain on the trunk and make it more prone to splits and other issues. In some cases (especially for younger plants), the tree can benefit from cabling and bracing to help relieve some of the extra weight and to encourage it to grow in the desired direction. Due to the pressure and forces exercised during such a project, the work is best performed by an expert tree service company.
Tree Disease - Rot And Fungus
Fungi growing on a tree are usually a sign of tree disease. You should have such trees inspected as soon as you notice this issue.
If unsure, you can take a look at our list of the most common tree diseases in the Chicago area.
When To Remove Leaning Trees
If a tree is leaning, it should be inspected, as it represent a higher risk than those without a lean. A lean that happens suddenly might be a sign of issues with its root system. The roots not only feed the tree, but also anchor it to the ground. A lean of more than 15% from vertical is an indication that the tree should be removed.
Certified Arborist Inspection
If you are not sure if a tree needs to be removed, you can have us perform an arborist inspection. We know how valuable trees are, both to the environment and to your property's market value, so we only recommend tree removal when absolutely necessary.
Storm Damaged & Leaning Trees
Some of the storm damaged and leaning trees might not need removal. However, from hiding exposed power lines to snapping branches and fall hazard, they might represent a big risk. To ensure that everything is being done to save the tree from removal, safely, you need the help of a professional.
When large trees get uprooted there is little that can be done to save them. This is because of the mature root system of such trees that gets damaged during the process and cannot support the tree anymore. Large tree removal needs specialized equipment and safety precautions, especially when the tree has been uprooted.
If your tree has already removed, but there is a trunk left, you might want to remove it as a safety precaution, to make more room, or to improve the look of your landscape. We offer free quotes for stump removal services and a top notch tree service.
Tree Removal Cost
As we said before, there are actually other costs associated with tree removal besides the initial payment to the tree service company, such as the impact it might have on your property's value.
Sometimes, it is impossible to avoid removing the tree. In such cases, understanding what you are paying for might help you lower the cost.
Factors That Influence The Price Of Tree Removal
- size and height of the tree. Obviously, a large tree (60 ft and more) requires a lot more work to remove it than a small one (under 30 ft).
- tree health - this can be both a reason for removal and a reason why the costs are higher . Extra caution is needed to remove a tree with decay or cavities and it might require careful planning of the whole process and more work
- tree angle. Leaning trees usually have issues with their stability and/or root system and might necessitate a more complex removal process
- DBH - diameter at breast height. A thicker tree requires more work.
- location on property - some trees cannot be removed with aerial lifts and specialized equipment, just because the area where they are located might be inaccessible to such equipment. It is that much more important for the tree crew to know what they are doing, in case of manual work
- urgency of the request - scheduled appointments will have lower costs than emergency tree removal calls at 3AM during a winter storm.
In the case of fallen tree removal, some home owner insurance companies might help with the expenses. First step is to keep yourself and your family away from the hazardous area, but you should consult your policy whenever possible.
Who Should Pay For Tree Removal?
As we said before, your insurance might be able to help.
However, there are some cases where there is uncertainty about who should support the costs - you or your neighbor. It is subject to litigation in some of the cases and you should consider getting qualified legal help. As a rule of thumb (might not be true in some cases), it depends where the tree trunk is physically located. If the trunk is located on both properties, even just a few inches, you might both be responsible for the tree.
Tree Removal Permits
You do not need a permit to remove a tree located on your private property in the City of Chicago. However, a lot of the suburbs require permits and/or replacement requirements. Some of those requirements might apply only to mature trees, that have a certain DBH - diameter at breast height.
To find out more about those requirements, please contact us or take a look at the individual areas below:
You must be logged in to post a comment.